Psalm 86:11-13

Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will walk in Your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name. I will praise You, O LORD my God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever. For great is Your love toward me, you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.



Monday, June 28, 2010

Wisdom...How Important Is It?

For the last week, I have been pondering wisdom. What is it and how important is it in our everyday lives? I decided last night to read again what James had to say about wisdom. James 1:2-6 reads, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."

I looked up the Greek word and meaning that was translated as wisdom. The word is sophia (Strong's #4678) and it means 'Christian enlightenment, a right application of knowledge, insight into the true nature of things.' In looking at the meaning of the original Greek word, I take this to mean that wisdom is knowing how to apply God's Word to our everyday lives. Wow! When we can not only understand what the Bible tells us but also to know how to apply it to our lives, that is a precious gift not to be taken lightly! James tells us that all we have to do is ask God for it and be sure to ask in faith and we have it! It makes sense that God desires all of His children to have wisdom because what good is His Word to us if we don't know how to apply it to our everyday lives.

Now, in Chapter 3, James tells us how to distinguish between worldly wisdom and Godly wisdom. Verses 13-18 say, "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." I don't know about you, but I want the wisdom that comes from above. That sounds like a wonderful life!

No comments:

Post a Comment