Psalm 86:11-13

Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will walk in Your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name. I will praise You, O LORD my God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever. For great is Your love toward me, you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.



Friday, June 18, 2010

The God Who Sees Me

Have you ever wanted to be invisible? I know I have. In fact, this morning was my most recent occasion of wanting to be invisible. My husband had to leave early to do some work at the church which meant I needed to water the garden before Sydney woke up. Therefore, I threw on the ugliest clothes I own, grabbed a cup of coffee and the baby monitor and ran out the door! The only redeeming part of my outfit this morning was the straw hat I was wearing that, shall we say, covered a multitude of sins! I really hope the neighbors or passers-by didn't see me!

Next question - have you ever felt invisible? Have you ever been going through something incredibly devastating to you and it appeared that nobody could see the pain or maybe no one cared to even look? On the other side of the spectrum, what about a time you were really excited about something God was doing in your life. Maybe He was using you in a new way but no one seemed to care. No one tried to encourage you in the new season of your life and it hurt.

While I was watering this morning, I couldn't help but meditate on Genesis 16. This is where Abraham and Sarah grew weary of waiting on God to fulfill His promise of a son and decided to 'help' God keep His word. (Boy, that is a lesson by itself!) Sarah told Abraham to take Hagar and try to have a son with her. Hagar was Sarah's maid and if Abraham had a child with her, that child would become Sarah's child. Hagar had no rights of her own here. Abraham did what Sarah asked him to do and Hagar became pregnant but that caused problems in Abraham's marriage. Shocker! Sarah wanted to send Hagar away so she mistreated Hagar until Hagar ran away. Genesis 16:7-11, 13,14 says, "The angel of the LORD found Hagar near a spring in the desert; it was the spring that is beside the road to Shur. And he said, 'Hagar, servant of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?' 'I'm running away from my mistress Sarai,' she answered. Then the angel of the LORD told her, 'Go back to your mistress and submit to her.' The angel added, 'I will so increase your descendants that they will be too numerous to count.' The angel of the LORD also said to her: 'You are now with child and you will have a son. You shall name him Ishmael, for the LORD has heard of your misery.' She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: 'You are the God who sees me,' for she said, 'I have now seen the One who sees me.' That is why the well was called Beer Lahai Roi;"

God sees us! He sees us when we are rejoicing and when we are weeping. He is the God who sees me. The people in our lives can and will disappoint us and hurt us from time to time; but then again, we will disappoint and hurt others from time to time also. We all, on occasion, get so wrapped up in our own lives, we really don't see others pain and triumphs. We should but we don't. One thing is sure, though, and that is God sees us. What a wonderful thing to always remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment