Psalm 86:11-13

Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will walk in Your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name. I will praise You, O LORD my God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever. For great is Your love toward me, you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.



Sunday, June 27, 2010

Least of These

In church this morning, a young woman spoke about a ministry our church is doing by supplying shoes to the homeless and washing their feet. What a wonderful ministry. She read a scripture in Matthew 25 that I have always loved! Verses 35-40 says, "'for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'

This has always been a scripture to keep in the forefront of my mind; but the more compelling part of this parable, for me, is just after this scripture where it is said He was hungry and we did not feed Him; thirsty but we did not give Him a drink and so on. Verse 45 says, "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.'" I wonder how many opportunities we have missed to show someone some kindness or to share Christ with someone. Our pastor spoke this morning about how we should do whatever we do heartily as unto the Lord and not as unto men. I think when there is a kindness we can show to someone in need, we should do everything we can to show that kindness. What a witness of the love of Christ if we all do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment