Psalm 86:11-13

Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will walk in Your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name. I will praise You, O LORD my God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever. For great is Your love toward me, you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.



Thursday, June 24, 2010

I Want That!

It's exciting to read in God's Word how He loves us and takes care of our needs, don't you think? It is such a comfort to me to know that I don't have to worry because He has it all taken care of. This morning, I was reading in Luke 12. I began reading at verse 22, "Then He said to His disciples, 'Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing.'" Then He goes on to say how God feeds the birds and clothes the lilies so beautifully but we cannot add one cubit to our stature by worrying. God will take care of our needs. We should seek His kingdom first and let Him take care of our needs.

If you will notice, the scripture above began with Jesus saying, 'Therefore" so I read the verses prior to see what Jesus was connecting to this passage. Lo, and behold, it was a scripture speaking against covetousness! In a nutshell, a young man asked Jesus to tell his brother to divide his inheritance with him. In verse 15, Jesus told the man, "Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses." How many times have we heard of a bitter battle in families over an inheritance? We all tend to want an abundance of things that do us more harm than good. Jesus went on to tell the parable of the rich fool. This was a man who had such a bountiful crop his barns were not large enough to hold it all, so he decided to tear down those barns and build larger ones to hold this crop. He thought he could sit back and do nothing of value after his barns were filled. Scripture says in verses 20-21, "But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?' So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

We need to have the proper prospective regarding our needs and wants. Our primary need is to be in fellowship with God. It is sad that so many people do not recognize this need! Since we are the creation of God, we should seek Him first and most. When we do this, He will take care of our needs and we will live life more abundantly! There is much joy waiting for us when we can get this right!

No comments:

Post a Comment