Psalm 86:11-13

Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will walk in Your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name. I will praise You, O LORD my God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever. For great is Your love toward me, you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.



Friday, October 29, 2010

Press On (part three)

If and when we sin, God's Word promises us in 1 John 1:9 that God is faithful to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness if we will confess our sins. As Christians we all know that but sometimes it can be difficult to understand why God would choose to forgive us when we really blow it. I'm sure you know what I mean - when we do something we are really ashamed of. One of the great things about God is that He forgives us for His sake! It's not about whether or not we are really worthy of His forgiveness (although we are because Jesus made us worthy!!!). It's about God loving us and desiring a relationship with us so much that He is willing to forgive us for His own sake. The proof is in God's Word. 1 John 2:12b reads, "your sins are forgiven you for His name's sake." and Isaiah 43:25 reads, "I, even I, am He who blots our your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins."

King David really understood the heart of God. After sinning with Bathsheba and then committing murder, he repents and it is recorded in Psalm 51. He asks God to forgive him and to restore joy to him. Verse 13 says, "Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners shall be converted to You." David knew he would be forgiven and he knew God would continue to use him.

After Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus, he gave up a lot to follow Christ. In Philippians 3, he talks about all the things he used to put his hope in but he realized it was all meaningless. He suffered the loss of many things in order "that I may know Him" (Phil. 3:10a). Paul had been doing things out of obligation to the law but he realized that the real prize was in knowing Christ. It is possible and desirable to have a real relationship with Him. We don't have to just know about Him or know of Him, but we can really know Him. Paul goes on to say in verses 12-14, "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Let's not let our past failures hold us back from knowing Christ and serving Him; but let's forget those things which are behind us and Press On!

No comments:

Post a Comment