Psalm 86:11-13

Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will walk in Your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name. I will praise You, O LORD my God, with all my heart; I will glorify Your name forever. For great is Your love toward me, you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.



Thursday, July 1, 2010

Free To Be Me

Lately, I have been thinking about the differences between my husband and me. He is a good leader and very kind-hearted. He is a big picture person. I, on the other hand, can't find the big picture with two hands and a flash light. I need him to show me the big picture because I can get too bogged down in the details. He doesn't enjoy the details which is hard for me to believe because that's the fun stuff! Our personalities and gifts are completely different, but thankfully, this is not a source of contention for us; instead, it is a source of comfort. We can each do what we are best at being rest-assured that everything else is taken care of by the other. It is nice to be married to someone so different. I am free to be me.

This is what the body of Christ is like but so many times, we compare ourselves to others and think we fall short somehow because we can't do what someone else does. God made us to be individuals and has gifted us each differently. We should take joy in our uniqueness! 1 Corinthians chapter 12 teaches us about the different gifts we have and that we are all one body working together. Verse 12 says, "For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body so also is Christ." It goes on to talk about our bodies having many different parts such as hands, feet, ears, nose, etc. If one part of our body suffers, then the whole body suffers. How many times have you even stubbed your toe and hobbled around until it felt better? Your whole body suffered and had to make up for the pain of the stubbed toe! I love verses 21-22 which say, "And the eye cannot say to the hand, 'I have no need of you'; nor again the head to the feet, 'I have no need of you.' No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary." Now, because we are each necessary to the proper functioning of the body of Christ, we each should do what we are gifted and called to do, otherwise, the entire body suffers.

No comments:

Post a Comment